Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ski Practice...

Here are some pictures of ski practice with my Junior High kids....which ended right before my accident a couple weeks ago. Today I started Elementary practice, which is a lot of fun- and the kids are really excited and motivated. I am a little sad I can't be skiing with them, and have to walk besides them instead, but they quite enjoy using me as a coatrack for discarded clothing when they get too warm! Today was BEAUTIFUL out! Probably about 35 degrees, and things were melting just a bit, and the sun was out fully. i will need to start remembering sunglasses for practice. Today we mostly went over how to fall the right way without getting hurt, how to snowplow and slow down if you are going too fast, and how to walk uphill. We practiced on a smaller hill by the school, that gets some decent speed, and then went on a little ski loop which ended back at the school. At this point I can still keep up with them by walking, as most haven't been skiing yet this year. They were doing really wel though, and they were tired by the time we got back! =)
This is the drift by the school the kids play on. See the door? That is my emergency exit door to my classroom =( It is a little better now, as they attempt to shovel it out every couple weeks or so. Can you see the merry-go-round sticking out of the snow? Some of the kids can use the monkey bars on their knees right now.
My little "helpers". These guys kept me company while I sat around timing kids ski loops before the tournament. Now they are in my Elementary skiing.
They like to play with my big poles.


See the ocean? Not frozen all the way out anymore! The ice that is left will probably stay for quite awhile yet. Remember earlier in the winter when I was complaining about not having enough snow? Well we have plenty now! In what John likes to call "Second Winter" or Winter Part-2, we had tons of blizzards and got dumped on! I think our snow will last for quite awhile this year- as we have even more than last year now (which was quite a bit). I know Nome has had its highest recorded snowfall this year.....not sure how long they have been recording that- but over 100 years I would imagine. So while I can't ski right now....I will be out snowshoeing!

No comments: