Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Arriving in Cordova AK

 On Monday Lily and I flew out to Cordova AK to meet up with Jim, who is installing a Bergey wind turbine on a remote island in Boswell Bay (just outside of Cordova) for Copper Telecom.  Jim flew out on Thursday to Fairbanks, where he was able to get equipment trucked to, and then he loaded everything on a big trailer and drove down to Anchorage and hopped on a ferry taking everything across -with a stop in Valdez where he helicoptered out to the site and "slung" new batteries to the site (and the old ones out).  Meaning, they hang from below the helicopter by ropes.....

Lily and I took a 5 1/2 hour flight from Minneapolis to Anchorage.  She did much better than I expected- and the people sitting next to us were extremely nice and helpful!  The lady let Lily sit on her lap for a bit and shared her soft fuzzy blanket with her...and her husband stood up for at least 20 minutes giving Lily a seat to play in (and me a break with her off my lap)!  The world is full of some amazing people!  The 6 hour layover in Anchorage wasn't quite as smooth....Lily ran my legs off.....I thought I was going to collapse!  Carrying my heavy carry-on and chasing her, I was absolutely exhausted after 4 hours!  I swear she must have ran at least 2 miles! The next 2 days now when I have wanted her to hike, she just wants to be carried of course!   I do have to say though- anyone with little kids- try to fly out of the Humphrey terminal at MSP!!  They have a little playground inside the secure area!  Lily wore herself out a bit with the tunnel slide they have!  If only all airports would be so thoughtful!
The last plane was only one hour to Cordova, and Lily slept the whole way there.  She was then awake enough when we arrived (though it was about 10:30 at night for her Central time) to drive around and get out for a little hike on the slough- which was full of birds.
 On the boardwalk in the slough...
 A salt marsh- with lots of Lily pads!
 Looking back at the small bird watching hut.
Jim, at the end of the trail.  What a beautiful bright day!  We then went out for supper and then finally to bed- a long day from 4:30 am!  I was beyond tired!  But- we made it here, and were about to begin another adventure!

No comments: