Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Stuck in Koyuk!

The village of Koyuk....
In a serious attempt to get caught up on my blogging, I am going to really attempt to post at least once a day for awhile!....We will see. These pictures were taken almost 2 months ago (I know!)...when I took a Frontier plane into Nome for Dan and Ethel Karmun's (Gary's grandparents) Anniversary party. A lot of the cousins were going to be there, and even Nellie came from out of town. I took a day off work, but when we stopped in Koyuk first, I never got any further. Upon taking off again the fuel line got disconnected on the plane and we never got altitude and the plane started making funny clunking noises- we had to circle right back around and land....and then I was there.... The villages do not have a building to go into and wait for things...

...unless, you count this, that is. I don't. So, I headed into town as suggested, and was told to come back in "a little bit".....sure. Not really having anywhere to go in the bush, I decided to go to the store. Got myself an orange soda and original flavored skittles- something we don't get in our village =) And one of the few candies, I really still love! I also stopped at the school, where the principal knows me and let me in to use the phone and call the Garrison's, to say I would be late....
I then headed back to the runway to wait....
I looked at the view, and waited......
and waited.....

and waited.....Nobody around, so I kept waiting......
And got bored, so decided to play with my camera.....


How long can I entertain myself this way you ask?

Actually, quite awhile it turns out- but then the batteries die, or get too cold, so you are left with nothing else to do. So, I then wandered around the airport a little....until I noticed somebody coming up. Any information? No. But the guy offered to take me to his house to wait, as it was close to the airport and I wouldn't miss anything. Turns out, I know his wife- a teacher in Koyuk. So, I got to hang out with Heather and she fed me pizza and showed me how to knit better =) We later found out the weather in Nome had gone down, so I was stuck in Koyuk for the night. Heather and Chuck let me stay in their spare bedroom though, and the next morning I made it back on the plane and I just went back to Elim (as I had already missed the party I figured I should just go back to work).

View from the plane.....



I then got a ride on the back of a sled into town- luckily this one had a musk ox hide on it, and I realized how NICE they are for padding your butt while going over bumps!

Thus ends my second plane "adventure" for the year! As another Frontier plane had recently collided into a mountain, leaving one teacher with a broken back, I feel pretty lucky with how mine have turned out!

1 comment:

Colleen Marie said...

Oh, poor Anna. When do we get to see pictures of you new mouth?