Thursday, October 29, 2009

Kayaking with Mom

Well, it has been a long time since I have posted anything, and as I have the day off, I figured it was about time I get something on here! =) I have had internet for about a month now, thankfully! I don't know how many times I called my landlords trying to figure something out, and had left at least two letters for them and nothing happened- I never even got a call back. Seeing as I had no time off during the day to go talk to them, I just got frustrated and was looking into getting internet from a different provider. I even tried one out, but they didn't work here as they were blocked by the bluffs. Aaron then wrote them a letter on my behalf and a few days later I had internet...he said the letter was "cordial", but I wonder. It seemed to work though...and I didn't write it, so I don't feel any guilt. I can finally keep up on my bills and get more stuff done! You don't realize how nice the internet is to have until you don't have it....I didn't even realize how much I use it just to get some quick facts.
Anyways- here are some pictures from last week when I went kayaking with Mom- who finally got a kayak of her own- a Current Designs Kestrel- 14 foot. She met up with me here in La Crosse after school, and we headed out to Green Island to try it out and explore. I hadn't been in my kayak in a few weeks, and was anxious to get out and see how the river had changed. We picked the perfect day- as it was almost 65 degrees when we launched...it was quite a bit cooler when we came back, but still a pretty good evening! I wish I could get out more in the fall- unfortunately this is my busiest time of year for work- and I am still trying to figure a lot of things out from moving and my accident =( The weather hasn't exactly been the most cooperative either.....
I have been trying to get out running at night- which I have actually really been enjoying. I like the cooler weather for running, and the stars, and the fact that there is really nobody out at that time. It is more peaceful. It has also helped to calm my nerves and help me sleep...which has been something of an issue for me the last month or so....mostly I just get really frustrated with myself, as it is my head that keeps me awake- and seems like it should be something I should be able to control.
I am settling into La Crosse pretty well though, and I really like my new job! The first month was pretty frustrating and tiring, but I think I am finally starting to figure things out, and so are the kids- things have been going a lot smoother, and I really do have a great group of kids to work with. Hopefully I will start being less busy at times when I am supposed to be done with work and will find more time to just have a life now. I am hoping to find time to make more friends around here, which I think I really need. I have a ton of friends in Winona- but by the time I go and hang out there at night and drive back to La Crosse, I don't have much time to be in Winona- and want to visit my family when I am there too....I really need some more friends that are local, so I can have people to just hang out with in the evenings and do stuff with. I went to a meeting for the Sierra Club this wek- which was really interesting, and I really enjoyed, but I was disappointed that there was nobody near my age involved- they were almost all 50 or older. I think I will stay involved with this group though- as I think they are working towards some wonderful things.
Well, here are some pictures from our paddling trip....I didn't have my camera unfortunately- so these were taken with the camera on my phone! Technology is getting easier! ha ha!










No comments: