Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Finally- some mukluks!

I have been wanting a pair of mukluks for a long time...and I finally got some yesterday! This now means I have very little money to spend over Christmas break- as my extra tutoring money is all gone now- but I don't care. I don't need much money over break anyways. I am pretty happy with my mukluks, and even wear them around the house. The bottoms are made out of oogruk (bearded seal), and were traditionally chewed on to crimp and make them turn in. Some women still do this, but they have also designed a spring loaded pliers to do the same sort of thing. My last year in Shishmaref they let me start making some baby mukluk bottoms. Not too many people make them anymore, so I was pretty happy to have the chance to buy some again. I know the person who made the bottoms (in Shish), and the seal fur is also from Shish, but they were put together here. Notice the beaded stars on top....the Shishmaref star, or so they are called. I was planning on wearing them around MN, until Christopher mentioned that all the salt on the roads might be bad for them....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

anna...they are really pretty!!!!