Saturday, December 13, 2008

Qunbuk (Kun-guk)!!





Well, I managed to find a kitten!! My Mom went and picked him up for me this morning, and now has the dreadful job of babysitting him for the next week! I'm sure she will manage. I guess he isn't too fond of the dog yet, and Maude hasn't woken up from her slumber under the Christmas tree to find out what she is in store for, yet, but he is adjusting to the move. I hate not being able to see him yet- but at least I get pictures. I am really glad I found an orange one! Who would have ever thought that there would be a shortage of kittens! But apparently, Christmas time is a hard time to find them! I think this one was meant to be mine, though, because he was posted for about a week before we found him, and as soon as we said we would take him, the lady had three more calls of people wanting him. I haven't completely decided on a name, yet, but I am thinking about calling him Qunbuk (pronounced Kung-uk)- an Inupiaq word meaning brightness on horizon, indicating the presence of ice on the ocean.....his nicknames can be Kung and Guk then... He was born on September 24, Gary's birthday.....that will be easy to remember. I think it will be good for me to have something nice to think about on that day, rather than just what is missing. I am not looking forward to that time of year next year.
I will post more pictures of Qunbuk as I get them!....I think I will spell it Qunguk to avoid confusion! Hmm...my second orange cat, starting with a "Q"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

anna-
my son, michelle and i have now all seen this page and are so happy for you and young Qunbuk. we all agree this match much have been destined, as were the others. we are so happy about it. we look forward to hearing about his alaskan adventures. it has been a pleasure reading about your life there. i keep thinking about a huge beef farm there. the miles we'd have to ride and the fun it would be...but the growing season would be so very short so feeding in the winter would be way too difficult. yet, i still wonder...