Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ice-fishing












Well, I went out ice-fishing on Friday and on Saturday.....the river is now frozen enough (at least in spots) to cross and to stand on. There were still some open spots of water, but by the mouth you can drive a machine across (though I walked the first time until I knew it was safe). We then followed the tundra upriver and found a spot where there were already four holes open. On Friday I caught nothing, and on Saturday I caught one trout....I snagged it! Not much luck, but at least I didn't come home completely empty handed! Of course my trout was frozen by the time I got home....ever tried to clean a frozen fish? Didn't work so well, had to let it thaw out. So, I have broken out my winter boots, scarf, mittens, and am even wearing my wool pants if I am out for any length of time. I also need to make new fish sticks....took mine to Nome last spring to go handlining for crab and left them there.... hopefully I can find some scrap wood to make one out of. In the meantime, my broken pole works, but not as well. The picture with the buildings here are of fish camp.
I am down in Unalakleet now, for teacher Inservice- will be here until Friday night. And- I get to see my first real snow of the year! There is a bit on the ground here already. I am having fun seeing a lot of my friends =)

2 comments:

Super Angie said...

I have got to try this!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it is so crazy that you are getting snow and we still have weather in the 70s and the leaves are just starting to change.
Good luck with the fishing!