Saturday, November 29, 2008

Music









A couple weeks ago I had the musical instruments out for labs and the students were learning about keeping a beat, etc. I had to close the door so we didn't disturb the other classrooms, but they had a terrific time!
John has begun coming into my classroom to help the kids learn a song for the Christmas program in 3 weeks. I am SOOO glad he is helping me out with this- as then it won't be mostly my voice that the entire community hears that night! He brings in his guitar, and the kids are just enthralled by it. They scoot up as close as they can get to him, and some kids can barely keep their hands off his guitar. It is really cute. After playing for a few minutes and practicing our song, he lets them take turns strumming the guitar, which they really enjoy. I took a few pictures of the kids all crowded around him. I have written out the lyrics to our song, and we practice it during other parts of the day, also. The kids are learning to recognize more of the words as we sound them out together, and there are qite a few of their sight words on there as well. So- it is not a waste of our educational time- the kids really are learning from it as well- and they are really excited about the song.....much more so than if I was teaching it to them by myself. I think I owe John a Christmas present for taking this big amount of stress of me!! =)

No comments: