Monday, November 3, 2008

Well, I went out to the hotsprings last night, heading out about twighlight, so I got to see the mountains during a different time than I normally go out....too dark for a picture, though. We saw a fox on the way out, and another fox and a ptarmigan on the way back.... The ptarmigan just sat there near us for the longest time, just bobbing his head. He didn't want to fly off....maybe​​ because it was so dark out last night. The ice of the river was kind of scary crossing, because we couldn't take the short way- we could hear open water that way, so we had to go way up one of the forks and cross further up. We couldn't see very far with my lantern- especially on the way back, and it kept making cracking sounds. We did hit a few spots with overflow where we sunk in, but only a couple inches or so...a couple times I hastily made my way towards one of the shores because I was unsure though....ic​e scares me sometimes. John wasn't sure where we were on the way back, but I thought I knew where I was going, despite only being able to see about 4 feet, and I did find our way back to the four-wheeler​​ again. Glad we didn't try to cross with it- I would have been really scared on there trying to cross. The hotsprings felt great, though, and it was much warmer there than I was expecting- I never really got very cold- even getting out. Might have been all that geothermal heat....and the clouds. After soaking in the springs for awhile we headed down by the cabin and had a bonfire for a couple hours- cooked some baked beans and ate oatmeal cream pies....which is what I was handing out to the kids for Halloween. I still have plenty left over! The ride back was fun, though it would have been even better if the stars had been out and we could have seen the outlines of the hills. It was very, very dark out last night! I am having trouble typing in here tonight...for some reason, it isn't always typing right and won't let me fix my mistakes, so oh, well!

No comments: