Monday, June 29, 2009

surgery

The normal side of my face....
And the other.....
Apparently when only one side of your face is swollen, your mouth goes lopsided....
I think I can get these.....it really doesn't look bad- just bruised and swollen a bit. The incision was only about 2 1/2 inches long.
Well, I had my bone graft surgery on Thursday already! The doctor took some bone out of my hip and put it into my jaw in three different places. The surgery was originally going to take 3 hours, with one hour of recovery and then I was told I could leave....but then they were only going to graft bone into two spots. It ended up taking an extra 2 hours and they had to pull out a few more bone fragments....one of them I knew was there, as it had been working its way out and was sitting partly out of my gum line, the other part they must have found while they were doing the graft. There is an 80% chance that the graft will take, and then I will be able to get my teeth implants in 4-6 months, once I am healed up. I am looking forward to having a normal mouth again =) They wanted me to spend the night at the hospital, but I talked them into letting me check out that same day. I am back on a liquid diet for another week and a half, and no alcohol at the moment because of my antibiotics I am on.....I take 4 different medications right now- kind of a pain to remember, but I was supposed to be on a steroid too- I just chose not to take them- they were sort of optional. Overall, I am feeling really good, considering. I am "taking it easy" as advised, but I haven't let it stop me from doing everything- I still manage to make my days productive, and I can walk fine. I am on day 4 of recovery and feel tons better than yesterday- if I feel this much improved tomorrow I will be doing everything again in no time! I had what they call a "Stryker pain Pump" in my side for the first two days- with a tube that pumped numbing stuff into my hip. After two days there was nothing left in there, and as I had left Duluth, I got permission from the doctor to pull the tube out myself rather than drive back up. It was an odd feeling pulling a 6 inch tube out of your hip, but it suprisingly did not hurt. I am now debating if I can pull out the stitches in my hip this Thursday and avoid yet another doctor's visit...I pulled some out of my lip after my first trip to the hospital....that wasn't bad. The ones they pulled out of my chin were more imbedded and hard even for the nurse to get though, so I am wondering what these ones are going to be like. I think I have decided to try and make an appointment for Thursday morning tomorrow and if I don't get it, I will do it myself. I can't do it earlier and don't want to wait around for something like that....fourth of July weekend- I will be off! =)

No comments: