Tuesday, June 16, 2009

village prices

So while I did make more money while up in the bush...things also cost a lot more! Typically I did all my shopping for the year in Anchorage and then shipped it to my village, but sometimes you just want or need something at the store. I usually only went to the store bout every other week...sometimes only once a month, but each trip inevitably cost me about $30. A big splurge for me, if I was feeling I deserved it was to go down to the store and get a can of pop for just over a buck. Buying in bulk didn't save anything there- a 12 pack was still $12.
Just to give a quick idea....a newspaper, loaf of bread (cheap kind), 2 cans of spagetti sauce, some yeast and some on sale about to expire canadian bacon pieces cost me over $30.

This can opener, far from a top quality one was only $14.99Hmm...ptarmigan....free. No wonder why people in the bush shoot everything. I saw this guy while out on a walk with Mark and Sadie near tank farm.

No comments: