Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cabin Update

Looking back at my other posts, I haven't had an update on my cabin since January, so here are some things that have been accomplished in the last 3 months:
1. Cabinets are polyurathaned and installed- in the kitchen and in the bathroom (we have one more small one we want to install in the kitchen), and are thinking about putting some up above the fridge yet.  I also need to build a small shelf between two cabinets for cookbooks.
2. Windows trimmed.  All windows now have sills, and one in the living room, and the bathroom window even have the moulding around them and are completely done.
3. Walls are painted- one tan wall in the living room where we had sheetrock instead of pine, and a greyish blue in the bathroom.
4. Cedar half way up in the bathroom
5. Bathroom door is installed now....and the glass knob is put on.
Bathroom lights were put in last weekend, and the fan was installed quite awhile ago.
6. More lights in the vaulted ceiling, as well as a fan to blow the warmer air down.
7. Counter top!  Our kitchen actually looks pretty finished now and is much more usable.
8. More shelves.  I put an 8 foot shelf up near the ceiling above our couch and wicker baskets hold storage items such as cords, games, etc. I also put up 2 mini shelves above the stove where we are storing spices, and I brought my Amish made bent wood shelf home and have a place for books and papers now.
9. After painting, I put a rug down inthe living room.  It is hard to keep clean with the dog, and sand and mud from outside, but makes it warmer for our feet when sitting on the couch and adds color to the room.
10. I have about half of the floorboards (along the bottom of the walls) installed.  I need to buy more so I can finish that.
11. Our 5 gallon instant hot water heater....just enough for a shower.  A quick one, but SO nice!  Soon, and a couple days already, we have had enough sun to get more hot water from Jim's Solar Hot Water Panels. He has already taken a shower outside in our outdoor shower.  I am waiting a couple more weeks I think.
12. We made the addition of a cat to our happy home.  Kunguk has finally made it out to North Bend, as of around my birthday.  She and Arlo aren't the best of friends, but they make do.  Her and Jim aren't the best of friends either....she can be a bit of a terror at night while you are trying to sleep.  But, she has been a lot better now that it is nice out and she is more tired.  I am really glad she is here, I missed having a cat.

Our biggest things we now need:
A drain field for our septic tank, and a driveway.  I also think I am going to get a couple chickens, so I need to build a chicken coop, we need to move our shed and set it on level gravel and fix a board on the bottom of it, we would like to add a screen porch, need to plant grass, and we need to get Jim's battery bank set better.  There is still a lot of work to do around here, but compared to last year, when my field still had 4 foot weeds, it is amazing to me how far we have come!

No comments: