Thursday, April 7, 2011

First Outdoor Shower of the Year!

Last night I had my first outdoor shower of the year! Yesterday was 61 degrees and sunny, so we had 185 degree water in the big water tank, heated from the sun.  Also, to septic tank is getting full, so better to have one outside....The air was slightly chilly by 7:30 when I had my shower, but the water felt REALLY good!  Jim also rigged the shower to  have water shoot down below on your legs, as well as fall from up above, so it keeps you extra warm in the colder temperatures.  It was the longest shower I have had at home in a LONG time!  I stayed in there until I was wrinkly! Most of the time, my showers are indoors, with the 5 gallon hot water heater that we run off electricity (also from the sun, but with a generator backup if we don't have enough)...which gives me enough time to quickly wash my hair and then VERY quickly scrub up before it starts cooling down. Usually it is getting fairly cold again by the time I am rinsing off.  I can imagine Jim has a little more time to scrub his body, as he has less hair.  Although I majorly cut my hair this winter (about a foot), it is still past my shoulders a bit, and takes awhile to wash....also my hair has a tendency to get greasy very quickly and I have to really scrub it good- thus taking up by far the most of my time in the shower....leaving little time for other things.  Thus, when I have had the chance this winter, I still have been taking advantage of the use of other people's showers, where I can really scrub up, and enjoy a more leisurely soak and maybe even shave my legs! But, welcome back to sunshine and warmer weathers!  I can now take decent showers at home again! =)
(notice my walk-way of pallets through the mud!)



 Trench for the septic tank, behind the houses


Now that all the snow is gone, I am looking around my yard and seeing all the work to do! There are piles of sand and mud around the yard, trenches to fill, ground to smooth, and grass to plant- as well as general cleanup from building!  My goal is that my the time school gets out, I will have a real, decent yard, and not a red-neck junk yard again! That gives me 2 months, which seems feasible.  Especially as we are getting more daylight. So, here are some pictures from around my yard today, to give you an idea of what I am working with.....and to show my spring flowers coming up!!!  I am so excited to see things grow.  I also have an EMBARASSING collection of seeds I have been hoarding (many of which I got on super sale though!) which I am hoping to plant in my yard.  I have been having a hard time establishing my wildflower garden....about a 100 foot area around my apple trees.  Last year I tilled and tried to get some sections to really start growing by seed, but it seemed to have done little good.  I know once I get things established over there it will be beautiful. This year will not be quite as busy, and now that I have a well, it will be a lot easier to water over there....I also think I will start some in a pot and then transplant.  I am determined to have a butterfly garden- one that I don't really weed, but a natural meadow area that is full of beautiful plants....along with my more manicured and groomed garden.

No comments: