Saturday, September 6, 2008

other side of Nex Crick












After spending quite a bit of time around the beach, I headed up the trail on the other side of Nex Crick, where the colors were bright red, orange and yellow. We may not have maple trees here in Alaska- but our grasses and plants reach peak fall colors at a height comparable to any trees I have seen. I ate a few blueberries on the side of the hill, then turned around, as the bugs were starting to get to me, and I had been out for quite awhile already....I did have to do some homework that night! On the way back, I walked the beach long all the driftwood and found some bones. I am pretty sure they are from the walruses that were there last year still. The bears and animals had been munching on them pretty good- I know last winter I even saw a lot of wolverine tracks, and holes dug down to them. A few bones were clean enough for me to grab =) More for my collection! I got a vertebrae, a rib bone (I think), and the bone here in the picture...have to figure out which bone that is yet.
I then crossed the crick again (a bit chilly, but it feels good). I went home and started to get on my computer.....but was enticed outside again =)

No comments: