Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Boring Airport Saga

With Floyd, Joe, and Rhonda

Well, I headed out of Nome on Saturday the 20th in the evening, and was supposed to be catching the 1 am fight out of Anchorage "directly" to Minnesota. Even when I heard that Seattle weather was bad, I wasn't worried, because I didn't think it would affect me...until I started looking at my gate and flight number and it said Seattle. We watched more and more planes get delayed, and then canceled- and then mine was too. Even though I had a "direct" flight- that only meant that I didn't have to get off my plane- we were still supposed to stop in Seattle and pick up more passengers....even though that hadn't been listed on the itinerary when I got the ticket. I ended up going to a house, friends of Kim, who I got my Partner ticket with, and spent some time researching flights that were still scheduled to go. We got a call about 4:30 in the morning from some friends that were waiting on a delayed flight, that another plane was going out, so we hurried to the airport and got on standby. lots of people made it on that flight, and we would have been the next ones, but we just missed the cut-off. So instead, we spent the whole day running back and forth to different gates trying to get on. Finally at night, we got someone to separate our partner tickets so that we could go separate ways, and then I ran into Floyd, who was heading to the Millenium Hotel to meet up with Joe and Rhonda- so I tagged along and got a room with him. On Monday I tried to get on standby, but they wouldn't even let people through the gates to get on standby at that point. Floyd came with me to keep me company, but Seattle was past maximum capacity, so they were no longer letting anyone fly there unless they had a confirmed flight out. We also heard that Seattle aiport was out of food and the nearby hotels were full. I went back to the Millenium, where we enjoyed a few drinks in the hotel bar and met up with Joe and Rhonda......Rhonda bought me a Chrismtas present of shorts and a tank to wear in the hot-tub, so we tried that out that night also. We got a call from another teacher who had said she might join up with us, who had met someone who needed a place to stay, so Kira from Unalakleet joined us that night also.
The next day I went to the airport with Joe, Floyd and Rhonda, who had tickets to fly out then, but they still said standby wasn't even an option. so after they left, I went back to the hotel where Kira still was and we got a room together. The next day was Christmas Eve. Kira's friend Pam, a counselor up north took us to the airport to see if we could get on one last time, but again, no luck. So, we went out to eat for a good meal at a Mongolian Barbeque place, went shopping at a few places, and then went to a bed and breakfast place where Pam was staying and visited for awhile. It was nice to have people to spend Chrismtas Eve with, and we had a good time. Kira had a late night flight, so I went with her to the North Terminal to wait, and then when she went through security, I got a ride over to the South Terminal and went through the gates for my 6 am flight....and found a nice corner to sleep in. I did get out on my 6 am flight then, spent two hours in Seattle and then got out to MN....so I got home about 6pm on Christmas Day. As a side note....I usually do pack a few extra pairs of socks and underwear in my carryon when I travel....and this time I was really glad I did! However, after wearing the same clothes for about a week....I still felt pretty darn dirty!!! I sure was glad to get home though- and I still got to see Aidan and Alaina before they left!
Going out Tuesday evening with Kira and John (another BSSD employee)- looking at the lights around Anchorage, and then out to the Peanut Farm for some beer and junk food! Hmmm....Dad said to go out for a nice meal, but I can get crab anytime I want now, and other expensive foods at restaurants. However, beer and greasy foods are a bit of a novelty, and company always makes things better. So, for the same price....



We over-extended our stay at the Millenium a bit, enjoying their nice lobby with a fire, free internet, and lots of Alaskan animals all over. The Christmas tree kind of reminded us that it was Christmas, too. There was also an expresso shop about ten feet from us.....I drank a LOT of coffee while I was stuck!
At the Anchorage Airport. I like how they designed the airport to have huge windows facing the mountains.
Christmas Day it wasn't looking nearly so crazy anymore!
I wanted a close-up picture of the musk ox's horns.....but apparently it wasn't the right lighting. Also....apparently you get yelled at for jumping over the barrier.

Driving around Anchorage Christmas Eve.


Christmas moose...

No comments: