Sunday, January 11, 2009

Elim Hill at Sunset

I was taking care of Sadie yesterday, as Mark went caribou hunting, and she needed to get out for a walk, so I put my long list of things to do on hold, to do something I have been wanting to do this week anyways....hike Elim hill to see the sunset. It was a clear, great day to do it! So, I hiked up to the airport to the base of the hill. It was -2 yesterday, but even just going to the airport, I realized that I had overdressed, and I needed to take my mittens off.
Just entering the woods, I realized that nobody had really been on this trail since it snowed, so I was hiking in snow up to my knees. This was going to be a harder hike than I had planned...
I also soon discovered that I could not find the trail, which is easily visible in the fall....so I started trail blazing my way up.
Hiking uphill in deeper snow is more tiring than I had planned....I stopped to take a rest and enjoy the view.
A full moon! This was turning out to be a better hike than I had planned!

I love my beaver hat....but lesson re-learned....bring a thinner hat with for hiking in....the beaver hat can go in the backpack until I get to the top and am in the wind again!




Well, I never did make it to the top, the going was much slower than I had planned, and I have realized that I will need to start out earlier to make sunset.....and it might be a good idea to bring a headlamp in case it gets dark for the way back. I made it about 2/3- 3/4 of the way up before turning around....I felt like I was wimping out a little bit, but I was EXHAUSTED! And I could really feel the hike in my legs all evening. Even going downhill in snow to your knees can be a lot more tiring than normal. I will make it up there though! And the hike was beautiful, even if I didn't reach my destination.

No comments: