Wednesday, August 6, 2008

48 Mile?


Stopping to fish and look for the beaver we saw while heading back one night.
An old mining rail.....old handmade nails, nuts and bolts all over also.

remains of an old mining cart
Gary, at the cabin

Around here, everything is marked by the mile marker out of town. While I was in Nome, we headed up to Eric and Selena Peterson's cabin that they are building and helped them out a bit. I believe they were at 48 mile on the Kougarok road...but I can't remember exactly. I helped a little with insulation, then went outside with a saw determined to cut down those willows blocking the view to the lake. A perfect day for it- fairly warm (around 50), and BREEZY- which means- no bugs! I definitely wouldn't have been out there cutting brush the day before when the bugs were enough to drive you wild- but that day was perfect- and it felt good sawing and being outside. I cleared 2 spots about 15-20 feet square, and the view definitely improved! Not that it was at all bad to begin with! Most people would pay millions for a cabin with a view such as this!! No close neighbors at all- and mountains all around. One of the days we were out, Selena showed me around the property, and some of the old mining things left behind....I took pictures, of course.

No comments: