Friday, August 15, 2008

Fishing

Today after school, Mark and I set off with out fishing poles and Sadie- taking his 4 wheeler out to Iron Crick. Yesterday he had been catching them left and right out of the ocean, but today we could see quite a few in the crick. I caught 4 silvers which I kept, and I don't even know how many humpys that I threw back. The water was very clear, and I could see right where the silvers were- looking much fresher and bigger than the humpys. One of my silvers I snagged right in the eye...if they weren't biting, I tried to snag them....but I think they started catching on, as they started to dart AWAY from my lure....oh well. We cleaned the fish there on a board someone had left there, then headed out to Moses Point to see if the fishing was better. The bugs (more specifically the noseums)were getting pretty bad. At Moses Point, the tide was low and the current was strong. The fish definitely weren't jumping like last time I was out there. We made a deal, where the first person to catch a fish had the other person make them dinner. I thought for sure I would lose- but I WON! At one point I found a spot where the fish were jumping and I cast out and got one. I also lost two fish that were on my line while I was out there. A couple other families soon joined us, but left before us when the fishing didn't pan out. Michael, of my kids from my classroom last year was there, and I think he grew almost 5 inches over the summer- he looked WAY bigger!
I cleaned my fish and put it in a garbage bag to go home, after REALLY cleaning one, that I managed to drop in the sand! My other mistake today I soon realized, was not changing pants before going....my new kakis now have fish blood on them- oh well- I am not meant to wear light colored pants to teach Kindergarten anyways. If it hadn't been the fish blood, it would be paint or something else.
I snacked on some of Mark's musk ox jerky before going home, where I made some enchiladas (even though I won) and Mark and Sadie came over . I could only eat a half of one....I think I make them bigger each time. I am pretty sleepy now, I didn't sleep much yesterday and I think the sun kind of zapped me....but I have to clean out my fridge and get the rest of the enchiladas in there, and package all my salmon.....I wonder if I can wait to do that until tomorrow...I know I have put fillets in a cooler overnight....I wonder if I can fit my pan of enchiladas in there with 2 pans of salmon eggs curing, a big bag of fillets, and all my other stuff I have in there....or maybe I could use the hallway fridge for one day. Boy have I been lazy when I get home the last few days. I really do need to sleep more today though. I didn't get ready for bed until 2 this morning, then remembered they were cutting the sewer this morning and had to take a shower then.....they are re-doing the sewer for the village- a big project! They have been digging up all the roads to do it...but our roads are all dirt anyway, so they are pretty easy to put back to the same condition...actually, they are in better condition now. No big moggles- the road is actually flat! Well, I am off to see about the food, then hitting the hay!








No comments: