Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 2...

Well, day 2 of inservice. I got a little better at sitting in a seat all day, but still needed to wander after work. I re-wound my fishing reel after my fiasco yesterday and headed to the mouth of the river again. I picked a spot where I could see the boats coming in off the ocean better, and I didn't have any problems....in fact, I had NOTHING......no bites, no snags, no seaweed....at least I wasn't the only one not catching anything. I heard good news about the fish back home though, so I am excited for this weekend- and since I will have all next week to work and get ready for kids, I am taking off this weekend- I will get down to the river one way or another. I went for another walk this evening, with a new teacher from Diomede- (the little rock by the international date-line). She will be teaching Kindergarten, first, second AND special education at her school....with no aid. So, if I ever feel sorry for myself at my job, I just need to think about what I could be doing instead =) We found quite a bit of sea glass going down the beach, which I was surprised by, after picking it pretty clean yesterday- thank you tides. The sun was out bright again, and while the rest of my body is getting paler by the day with multiple layers, I can feel that the sun got to my face at least. It is 10 at night now, and I am tired from not sleeping much in 2 days, but it is fully light out, and I doubt I could sleep- especially as 50 more people came and joined us at the school today- new teachers and principals- so we are all together now. It was nice with just my 2 roomates before, but now our room is quite crowded. We sleep in the classrooms on blowup mattresses....sometimes I bring my tent and sleep on the beach, but after it got blown away last time, I decided to sleep inside. One night curled around a campfire on the beach in October was enough! Probably wouldn't have been bad if my sleeping bag hadn't blown away with the tent...I did get it back eventually, though! In ruins, of course, and I had already ordered a new one by then. I will probably camp out again this October, but will try to find a more sheltered spot from the wind, and fill it with rocks from the beach, if there isn't too much snow covering them. At least if it blows away again, I will have had the fall to use my tent and get out camping =) Tomorrow is the "Fun Run"....a 5.2 mile run/walk. I think I will do it- I have for 2 years now. My knee was hurting today as I was climbing up and down the seawall, but feels fine now, so I should be fine. Well, that is about it- the joys of my life.

No comments: