Monday, August 4, 2008

Well, I started my first day of work today...what a blast. I am at a conference- so by the end of the day I NEEDED to walk- so I grabbed my fishing pole and headed down to the mouth of the river (I am in Unalakleet, AK). I crawled down the seawall, and cast off with my new fishing reel- enjoying the sun as it finally made its appearance for the first time in a couple of days. I tried a few spots but wasn't getting anything other than seaweed- but I am persistant- I wanted a fish! The silvers are running, and I was going to get one! I had my fillet knife in my backpack, my ipod was on, and I was enjoying life. After about a half hour a boat came zooming around the bend about 15 feet from shore right over my line. I only had about 15 seconds of warning to know it was coming, so I tried to get my line in as fast as I could, but they snagged it anyway, and all I could do was watch as all my line went out and it snapped. Most of my line was fine, but with no tension, it reeled up funny, and I didn't feel like sitting there fixing it. Besides, it was a fully sunny day now- I decided to walk down the beach and see if I could find some gillies (sea glass). I did find quite a bit- and went quite a ways down the beach, until I got to some big rocks and a crane that blocked my path and I turned around. I found a handful of gillies (one that was yellow!) and a bunch of sponges that had washed up on shore (I collected these for my classroom). So, at least I found some treasure today. I will catch a fish tomorrow. Never had a blog before....guess I will see if this is something I like or leave by the wayside.

No comments: