Monday, August 25, 2008

Heeere musk ox, musk ox!








Today after school, I sat around and got a little bit of work done, figuring out what I need to do for my projects for my classes....it was pretty boring. But then Mark came by and said that he had just seen a musk ox on the Nex Crick Trail....usually we don't see too many close to Elim- as they tend to be out more on the tundra- and this one was very close to town! So we hopped on the 4-wheeler and headed to the top of the Nex Crick trail to try and find it, but even after poking all around, we never did see it. We took a new trail I hadn't taken before, towards Elim hill....I had always assumed that it was just a woodcutting trail that didn't go very far back, but I now I want to go check it out further. The bugs are VERY thick right now, even in the wind...crawling inside your ears and just about anywhere they can. Tomorrow I made plans to go berry picking...I will have to do some better planning on what I am going to wear this time....and remember to bring my berry comb to try out!! In the pictures above, you can see some of the berries we have around here. The first ones are NOT cranberries, and you do not want to eat...too bad because there are tons of them! The second one shows cranberries, and the third one shows our "blackberries"- or crowberries. These do not have a lot of flavor, but mix well with blueberries and cranberries.

No comments: